I’ve addressed what happens when you try to reassemble something that other people have disassembled. In brief: things get screwed up and you introduce new problems into the system, and it sucks.

Turns out the same rule applies to any repair attempted in the short time you have before you have to go somewhere else. In this case, I figured I’d make some progress on the Ninja 250’s carburetor cleaning and reassembly project. Trouble is, as I rushed to get “just a little more done” after my alarm went off to remind me of a meeting with a friend…

Now I have to destroy a main jet (smaller than it sounds) to remove it from a part of the carburetor it in which it doesn’t belong.* Fortunately it’s a cheap part, so I’m out only about $20 (with shipping) to fix my mistake. And now I have an object lesson in one more thing not to do to a carburetor.

* For those with an understanding of these things (by which I mean carburetors), what I did was to insert the main jet into the pilot jet hole. It just barely fits, and at that point the only way to get it out (I hope) is to drill a (larger) hole in the main jet and use bolt extraction tool to pull it out. I tried blowing it out with 90 psi shop air to no avail.

Advertisements